By Esther Garcia, UC Davis Healthy Aggies intern
There is no doubt that this pandemic has caught everyone off-guard. Courses are now online only, jobs have been lost, restaurants and grocery stores are closing early, and gyms are shuttered. No one knows how long this may last. Nonetheless, it is best to keep distance between us all in order to prevent exposure for ourselves and our loved ones.
Here are 4 ways to stay healthy while staying at home:
1. Keep a sanitized home environment
There might be times where you have to go out for an essential errand which can increase your chances of being exposed to COVID-19. You can prevent spreading more germs. Once you get home make sure to immediately wash your hands. Clean and disinfect ALL surfaces that you may have touched.
2. Stay Active
With all fitness facilities being closed, it may be difficult to keep up with workout routines. However, there are many ways to keep moving without any equipment such as:
● Searching up “No equipment workout” on the internet.
● Breaking out the resistance bands.
● Going on walks in your neighborhood.
3. Keep On Meal Prepping
Now that you are home more often, you may find yourself with extra time to think about cooking! When we cook at home, we typically eat more nutritious foods. Meal prepping for 2-3 days will help you avoid ordering take out or snacking. When you go to the grocery store keep these things in mind:
● Your body needs fruits and vegetables to help improve your immune system.
● Plan on a protein rich food at each meal – small amounts of meat, chicken, fish, egg, beans, nuts, seeds, lean dairy or tofu are great examples. Review Choose MyPlate.
● Make snack foods healthy; avoid tempting yourself by bringing home things you’d rather not over consume. Grab a bag of baby carrots, broccoli florets and hummus.
● Stay Hydrated. Pick up some citrus, or other fruit/vegetable, to create infused water for a change of pace.
Together we are strong. This will pass and some of us will come out the other side with better habits. Be one of them.