By Wendy Liang, UC Davis Nutrition Peer Counselor
We all know that bananas are yummy and are a great source of potassium. They are a great Grab-To-Go meal as well when we are in a rush and busy, especially during exam season.
What else do we love about bananas?
- Bananas are a good carbohydrate source!
- Green bananas have lots of resistant starch and less sugar.
- Yellow bananas have less resistant starch than green bananas thus are easier to digest.
- Also contains Vitamin C, Potassium, Magnesium.
- Can reduce risk of heart disease due to the potassium in bananas which is great for lowering blood pressure. Decrease risk for hypertension.
- Improve gut health. Resistant starch in unripe bananas acts as a prebiotic and feeds the good gut bacteria.
- Prevent spike of blood sugar. Resistant starch decreases the rate of digestion of the sugars in bananas.
- Plantains – has more fiber than regular bananas
- Red Bananas – rich in antioxidants
- Lady Fingers – same as regular bananas but sweeter
Versatility in Foods
- Banana bread
- Banana pancake
- Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- Incorporating banana in daily oats
What is your favorite way to enjoy a banana?