- 1 + 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash, chopped into 1⁄2-inch to 1-inch pieces (about 1 small butternut squash)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple syrup
- pecans, chopped (for topping)
- fresh herbs (for toppings)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and for about 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the squash, salt and pepper to the pot and cook for 6-7 minutes while stirring.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Stir this and then after it starts to boil cover the pot and let it simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender or blender. If the soup is too watery, put it back on medium low heat and stir occasionally to thicken. If the soup is too thick, add in some water to thin it out.
- Add salt, pepper, chopped pecans and thyme to garnish.