By Rebekah Shulman, Dietitian Assistant
Summer is finally here! Whether you’re staying in Davis or traveling elsewhere, these tips on how to stay cool in the summer heat may come in handy over the next couple months, especially if you don’t have AC. Here are seven quick tips to beat the heat and stay hydrated this summer.
1. Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator to use as a quick refreshing spray after being outdoors.
2. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, as these will promote dehydration
3. Instead of large, hot meals, try lighter, more frequent cold meals or snacks. Choose salads, fresh raw food, vegetables and fruit. Avoid eating meat and protein-heavy foods , which can increase metabolic heat production. Large meals will also produce more heat for your body to process. Here are a few cooling summer recipes to try out:
4. Keep blinds and curtains closed during the day to keep hot air outside. Open windows at night to enjoy the cool evening air.
5. Rinse your wrists and/or feet with cold water before you go to sleep, which has a full-body cooling effect.
6. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Monitor your urine color to ensure that you’re staying hydrated.
7. Wear sunscreen when you’re exposed to the sun; SPF 15 at the minimum, but preferably SPF 30 or higher.
In addition to staying cool this summer, don’t forget to relax and de-stress from finals madness! Have a great summer, Aggies!