Whether you’re staying home, traveling, or a little of both, check out these tips on how to stay healthy and beat the heat this summer!
- Purchase a water bottle that keeps drinks cold for longer – some double thickness stainless steel bottles keep ice for 24 hours!
- Make your own fruit-infused water – lemon rinds add d-limonene, a beneficial plant substance.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic or sugary beverages in the heat – your body likes water.
- Use sunscreen! Set an alarm on your phone reminding you when to reapply.
- If you like a summer tan, try a spray tan instead of tanning beds; a tan isn’t worth the risk of developing skin cancer!
- Look up the current UV rays here
- To avoid heating up your home, do most of your cooking meal-prep style in the mornings or at night and do some outdoor grilling.
- Take advantage of all the yummy fruits and veggies in season!
- Veggies: beets, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, tomatoes, radishes, zucchini
- Fruits: blueberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, limes, peaches, strawberries
Follow the balanced plate model for optimal nutrition. Including a protein rich food and whole grains with your fruits and veggies is the way to go.
- Exercise early in the morning or late at night when temperatures are cooler
- Invest in “real” workout clothing that keeps you cool and wicks away sweat – your free basketball t-shirts won’t cut it in this heat!
- Remember that every body is a summer body; don’t push yourself to injury by trying to obtain a “perfect” beach body… the perfect body doesn’t exist!
Whatever you do, enjoy yourself!