By Bernice Kwan
It’s time to fire up the grill and celebrate Independence Day in the most delicious way possible! Impress your family and friends (and even yourself!) this weekend with these quick-and-easy patriotic dishes and red, white and blue recipes that will make your Fourth of July extra fun and tasty!
Patriotic Fruit Kabobs
Try these colorful combinations for a cool and refreshing treat that are also packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help you fight off disease and feed your body with what it needs to function at its best!
Ingredients (try one of the 3 combinations):
- Strawberries, bananas, and blueberries
- Strawberries have vitamin C which can help prevent common colds and relieve stress.
- Raspberries, white peaches, and blackberries.
- White peaches are high in fiber which promotes proper digestion.
- Watermelon, apples, and purple grapes.
- Watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated – it’s about 90% water.
- Cut and remove stems from your selection of fruit.
- Thread fruits onto skewers, alternating between different colored-fruits.
- Place finished skewers on a platter and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Constitutional Caprese Cup
Mix up your average caprese salad for a sweet and festive flare!
- Red cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella balls
- Chopped basil
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and blueberries in a bowl.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette and toss until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Top with chopped basil and and serve!
Untraditional Potato Salad
Enjoy a lighter yet flavorful version of one of the most popular sides at summer cookouts with these simple tips:
- The spud: Leave the skin on the potatoes (more fiber!) and combine potatoes with other starches like cauliflower, sweet potatoes and parsnips.
- The veggies: Add colorful veggies (e.g. green beans, peas, carrots, radishes, celery, and bell peppers) and herbs for a more flavorful and nutritious profile.
- The dressing: Replace mayo with plain Greek yogurt
Try these recipes:
Need more ideas? Check out these recipes for a fresh and delicious summer picnic or cookout.
Wishing you all a safe and healthy Fourth of July weekend!